Sean Coughlan, Chief Executive, Social Entrepreneurs Ireland
‘Ruairí is a visionary leader.’
Sinéad Gibney, Social Action Manager, Google
‘..passionate at all times and a consummate professional.
Smart, energetic & overall a great guy.’
David Hughes, The Vodafone Foundation
- Social justice communications and campaigns
- Consultancy and strategy support for non-profits & social enterprises
- Leadership coaching, mentoring and retreats
- Mindfulness, meditation and wellbeing ventures
- Youth development
- Public speaking;
social justice, community engagement, youth issues, democracy, leadership,
social innovation, mental health, men's health, wellbeing...
Ruairí McKiernan is an award-winning social innovator, campaigner, consultant, writer and speaker who was recently selected as one of the top 10 people leading social change in Ireland by global social entrepreneurs organisation Ashoka. He is a Fulbright scholar, a Presidential appointee to Ireland's Council of State (2012-2019) and a recipient of numerous awards, including a Social Entrepreneurs Ireland award. Ruairí is a business graduate with almost 20 years experience in the areas of social innovation and community development. This includes his work as founder of the pioneering SpunOut.ie youth organisation, which he started at the age of 25 and led for eight years as CEO, raising millions of euro, building a nationwide team of staff and volunteers, and championing young people's wellbeing across society.
He is also a founding board member of the Soar Foundation, a co-founder of the Uplift advocacy organisation, and co-founder of the Gaelic Voices For Change movement of inter-county GAA players. His chart-topping Love and Courage podcast features inspiration global voices for change and he is a regular contributor to the national media on health and social issues. A powerful and passionate TEDx speaker, Ruairí reaches thousands each year through his talks and workshops in schools, colleges, workplaces and at conferences in Ireland and internationally. His work explores areas that include leadership, wellbeing, mental health, mindfulness and meditation, active citizenship and civic engagement, corporate social responsibility, and social innovation. He previously contributed a chapter on meditation to Sr. Stan's book 'Season's of Hope' and his own book 'Hitching for Hope' will be published in 2019.
- Simon Cumbers Media Bursary 2020
- Government of Australia Endeavour Leadership Award, 2015
- Ray Murphy Leadership Scholarship, 2014
- Fulbright fellowship, Berkeley, California, 2014
- Korea Foundation Next Generation Leaders (Korea), 2013
- Boston College Irish Institute Programme (USA), 2010
- Ray Murphy Leadership Scholarship, 2010
- Simon Cumbers Media Bursary, 2010
- Junior Chambers International (Ireland) Award, 2009
- Digital Media Award, 2009
- Ulster Bank Business Achievers Award (Connaught), 2008
- Irish Internet Association: Net Visionary Award, 2008
- GK3 Young Global Social Entrepreneur, 2007
- Eircom Golden Spider Award, 2007
- Social Entrepreneurs Ireland Award, 2006
- Health Service Innovation Award, 2006